By Jesse Smith Nurse Practitioner at Parke Health Center
The holiday season is a time of celebration and togetherness, but it can also bring stress and challenges to keeping a healthy lifestyle. Here we provide tips for staying healthy and balanced during the festive season, with insights from local healthcare professionals.
Michelle Wright, Family Nurse Practitioner at Parke health and Stratton Medical Clinics states “Balancing celebration with health is key during the holidays. Don’t forget to prioritize self-care.”
Valuable Tips for a Healthy and Enjoyable Holiday Season:
- Moderation is Key: Enjoy holiday treats in moderation. Savor your favorite dishes without overindulging.
- Balanced Plates: Aim to fill your plate with a variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains.
- Drink water throughout the day: Especially important if you consume alcohol or sugary beverages.
- Stay Active: Stick to your regular exercise routine as much as possible during the holidays.
- Plan Active Gatherings: Incorporate physical activities into holiday gatherings, such as group walks or fun outdoor games.
- Prioritize Self-Care: Schedule time for relaxation and self-care activities, such as reading, taking a bath, or practicing mindfulness.
- Set Realistic Expectations: Be realistic about what you can do during the holidays and prioritize the most important activities.
- Seek Support: If the holiday season triggers stress or sadness, reach out to friends, family, or a mental health professional like Krista Davis at Parke Health Center or through our Tele-Health program.
- Designated Drivers: If you plan to consume alcohol at holiday gatherings, arrange for a designated driver or alternate transportation.
- Food Safety: Practice food safety when preparing and storing holiday meals to prevent foodborne illnesses.
By incorporating these tips and strategies into your holiday routine, you can enjoy the festive season while prioritizing your health and well-being. Michelle and her colleagues are available to provide guidance and support for a healthy and joyful holiday season, please call to make an appointment.